Computers are in almost every household today and are a part of every child’s educational journey. In California, students are required to take a technology proficiency exam in the upper grades. Many students are having difficulty passing those tests because they’ve had insufficient time, equipment, and instruction. For this reason, learning about the computer, word processing and presentation programs, and Internet research and information consumption should begin in the primary grades.
Using the Labs
- Do not store files on the hard drives of these computers; all data is erased every time the computer is rebooted. Please email your work to yourself, or copy it to external media, before you leave.
- Installing or modifying software on computers in the Lab is not permitted.
- Please use headphones for any program playing sounds and/or music. Headphones are not provided in the Lab; please bring your own.
- Food and drinks are not permitted inside the Lab.
- To conserve energy, please shut down your computer when you are finished with it. To shut down a lab computer, click on the “Start” button at the bottom left-hand corner of the screen, then click “Shut Down.”
- As in any public place, do not leave your belongings unattended.