- Helps ensure student safety.
- Gives the bus drivers complete information of who is riding their bus; this helps to improve student conduct.
- Helps to limit bus overcrowding and restrict unauthorized riders.
- Ensures more accurate communication with the parents and allows for cost savings from routing inefficiencies.
WHO NEEDS TO REGISTER
*ALL STUDENTS PLANNING TO RIDE THE SCHOOL BUS MUST BE REGISTERED WITH THE TRANSPORTATION OFFICE*
In order to utilize school bus transportation, the following regulations apply:
- The child/children must be eligible for bus transportation. According to our school policy, transportation is only provided for students living more than the legal limits established by the state or where walking constitutes a hazard to the safety of the student, as certified by the Department of Transportation. The student’s residence to school must be at least 1.5 miles for grades K-6 or 2 miles for grades 7-12 or be located on “PennDOT” designated hazardous roads.
- The bus assignment is for every day of the week, every week of the school year. Requests will not be honored for partial weeks or every other week.
- Bus assignments are determined by the student’s primary address and students will be transported to/from this location.
- Requests for transportation to/from an alternate address requires approval by the Transportation Office and must meet the following criteria:
- An open seat must exist on the alternate bus and a new stop is not required.
- The alternate address must be located within the school boundaries and at an address which meets eligibility for busing.
- It is understood that if a new child/children is enrolled who lives along the bus run and requires a seat on a full bus, your child will be removed and placed back on his/her original bus to your residence. Parents will be given at least three days’ notice.
* Registration forms are accepted and processed all year. New students who have recently enrolled in Loyalsock Township School District indicated their transportation needs during the enrollment process and do not need to re-register. Kindergarten students do not need to register unless their transportation needs have changed since Kindergarten registration.
If you have recently moved and need to change your child’s transportation, click here to complete a Primary Change of Address Form.
WEATHER-RELATED DELAYED OPENINGS AND EARLY DISMISSALS
In the event of a weather related, 2-hour delayed start, the school buses will run their regular routes, 2 hours later than the normally scheduled times.
When an early dismissal due to weather conditions occurs, the school buses will take the children to their designated afternoon bus stop after the dismissal time. Buses will run the same routes as on a normal school day. The bus will arrive at your stop approximately the same amount of time after dismissal that it normally takes the bus to go from the school to your stop.
*ONLY STUDENTS who are registered with the Transportation Office may ride the school bus during weather-related delayed openings and early dismissals.
RULES & REGULATIONS
School bus riding is a privilege, not at right… All school rules and regulations apply to a school bus or van as well. To ensure student safety, students must obey the bus driver, while under his/her supervision. Positive student behavior while entering, riding and departing the bus contributes in many ways to safe transportation. The driver is authorized to assign seats to students on the bus and the driver must report, in writing, all violations of safety regulations or conduct rules to the school principal or designee. Please consult the respective school’s Student Handbook for specific actions, that may be taken. Parents/Guardians and students should be aware that video and audiotapes are recording on buses at all times and may be used against them. (Transportation Video & Audio, LTSD Policy 810.2)
Please take a few minutes with your child to review the SCHOOL BUS SAFETY & RULES OF CONDUCT DOs AND DON’Ts .
LOYALSOCK TOWNSHIP SCHOOL BOARD TRANSPORTATION POLICIES
Click links below to view for more information.