When reviewing this section, please follow along with the OM Program Guide. Coaching an Odyssey of the Mind team provides many rewarding opportunities. Among them, you will:
|1) To Learn||
1) Not to deny other students their right to learn
|2) To be safe||
2) To act in ways which do not threaten, scare or injure others
|3) To a clean building||
3) Not to litter in the building and to clean up after yourself
|4) To get help from your coaches||
4) To ask for help in a polite manner and at a time that does not deny others to a fair chance to get help
|5) To be respected by others||
5) To respect each other and your coaches
|6) To a set of rules that are applied in a fair and equal manner||
6) To obey the rules and expect that others will also
Get recommendations from teachers.
Seek out kids with special skills and interests such as building, singing, acting, and so on.
Conduct tryouts using spontaneous problems or find enough coaches to allow all students to participate.
Post a sign-up list. If more than seven students per problem and division participate, have an intramural competition to choose which team will represent the school in official competition, OR purchase additional memberships according to the number of teams.
Remember that you should have at least five, but no more than seven, team members on each team.
While solving the problem, it is very probable that the team members will be using some tools, eg. saws, hot glue guns, etc. In order to use tools correctly and safely, please refer to the Rules for Tools document.
Free Choice Selection for Style (OM Program Guide, pages 22-24)